Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
July 28: National Milk Chocolate Day
We have been blogging for a few years now but have not yet included a recipe post for basic milk chocolate chip cookies—until now. On National Milk Chocolate Day, we could have baked a milk chocolate cake, blended a milk chocolate shake, or melted milk chocolate to cover nuts or dip pretzels or fruits. But we stuck with an old-time favorite: classic milk chocolate chip cookies. Mmmm…ooey, gooey, rich and chewy! Milk chocolate chip cookies are simple yet satisfying for chocoholics like us. And they are perfect to post as a recipe on National Milk Chocolate Day!
(Adapted from Hershey’s)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips (we used Hershey’s brand)
In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugars. Add the vanilla extract. Beat in the eggs.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add these dry ingredients to the wet ones. Mix until a soft cookie dough is formed. Gently fold in the milk chocolate chips.
On a lightly greased baking pan lined with foil, scoop one-inch balls and place them about two-inches apart. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 4-5 dozen cookies.
- We halved the original recipe to feed just the two of us. But we like a lot of milk chocolate chips in our cookies and usually measure out two cups instead of one!
- Star Wars fans may enjoy something similar to milk chocolate chip cookies: Wookiee Cookies.
- Search our blog for more chocolate and cookie recipes.