Chocolate Bavarian Cream Pie
November 27: National Bavarian Cream Pie Day
During our Thanksgiving dinners, we always present our guests with a pair of pie options: classic (pumpkin, apple, pecan and/or sweet potato) and creative (haupia, crack, buko, etc). To the latter list, we add Chocolate Bavarian Cream Pie. Chocoholics appreciate this alternate flavor to the more popular pies.
Because there is so much to cook for Thanksgiving, we prepare our pies ahead of time. If we are behind schedule, we admit to taking shortcuts, such as using ready-made pie crusts and Cool Whip (Islander uses this sometimes because it is dairy-free).
Chocolate Bavarian Cream Pie is similar to other pudding-filled pies so this may be comforting to those who are accustomed to traditional treats. Make this delicious dessert ahead of Thanksgiving and especially for National Bavarian Cream Pie Day.
(Adapted from Jell-O via Dying For Chocolate)
- 1 small box (4 ounces) chocolate pudding mix
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (we used Knox brand)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk (we used lactose-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 2 cups non-dairy whipped topping mix (Cool Whip or prepared Dream Whip)
- 1 9-inch ready-made pie crust (we used Nabisco Oreo brand)
In a saucepan, combine the chocolate pudding mix, sugar, gelatin and a pinch of salt.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk. Pour into the saucepan with the other ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture comes to a full boil. Stir in the vanilla. Remove from the saucepan and transfer to a large glass bowl, straining any egg debri or lumps if necessary. Cover the surface with waxed paper or plastic wrap so a film does not develop over the top of the pudding. Refrigerate until cold.
Meanwhile, make the non-dairy whipped topping (or use Cool Whip). Beat the pudding mixture until it is creamy. Fold in the non-dairy whipped topping and blend well.
Spread mixture into the pie crust. Refrigerate until firm (or freeze for an ice cream-like treat). Decorated with chocolate leaves or top with extra non-dairy whipped cream (optional).
- The ready-made pie crust could be chocolate flavor or graham cracker (Keebler brand).
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings on top of the Chocolate Bavarian Cream Pie for a pretty presentation. We added chocolate fall leaves on ours as an autumnal accent by using Wilton’s dessert accent candy mold.
- Search our blog for other pie recipes.