(Coconut Cream) Pie
December 1: National Pie Day
After eating lunch at the shrimp truck on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii, we would go for dessert at Ted’s Bakery, which is famous for its signature chocolate haupia pie. We have made mini haupia (coconut cream pudding) pies before. But the addition of chocolate makes its richer and even more ‘onolicious! For National Pie Day, prepare chocolate haupia pie and indulge in a taste of paradise!
(Adapted from Hawaiian Food Online)
For the chocolate haupia pie
- 1 uncooked pie crust (we used a frozen deep-dish pie crust)
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 7 ounces/squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted
Bake the pie crust on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Make the haupia filling by combining the coconut milk, sugar and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
In a smaller bowl, mix cornstarch with water. Pour into the milk mixture and simmer on medium heat until thickened, being careful not to burn the bottom of the pan. Divide the haupia mixture into two bowls.
Microwave the chocolate until melted according to the package directions. Blend the melted chocolate in one of the bowls with the haupia mixture. When well combined, pour into the bottom of the pie crust and smooth it out with a spatula. Pour the other haupia mixture on top of the chocolate blend. Chill the pie in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Top with whipped cream.
For the whipped cream topping
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- chocolate shavings or curls (we used Dobla brand dark chocolate blossom curls)
In a mixing bowl, whip the cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form.
Spread on top of the chocolate haupia pie. Or fill a pastry bag with a decorating tip and pipe designs on top of the pie. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings or curls. Chill the pie for at least another hour before slicing and serving.
- There is more than enough filling and topping to make this chocolate haupia pie.
- Pie is also popular to prepare on National Pi (π)Day on March 14 (3.14).
- We have more Hawaiian haupia recipes on our blog: mini haupia (coconut cream pudding) pies for National Coconut Cream Pie Day on May 8 and traditional haupia for Eat Your Jello Day on July 12.
- Search our blog for more pie and chocolate recipes.