June 25: National Strawberry Parfait Day
Summer is strawberry season! On a hot Texas day, we like to cool off with a light and fruity treat. Strawberry parfaits hit our sweet spot for a super simple snack or an easy after-dinner dessert. It is refreshing for the summer and “berry” nice, especially on National Strawberry Parfait Day!
(Adapted from Kraft Foods)
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (we used fat-free)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- ¼ cup whipped cream, cold (we used fat-free Cool Whip brand)
Wash the strawberries and pat dry with paper towels before slicing. In clear parfait glasses or dessert bowls, layer the bottom of each with the strawberry slices. In a mixing bowl, cream the cheese with the strawberry jam until smooth.
Fold the whipped cream into the cheese-strawberry jam mixture. Divide the topping over the fruits. Garnish each serving with whipped cream and strawberries. Serve chilled.
- Thanks to our kumare Cherlyn B. for the homemade jam featuring wild Maine strawberries from her in-laws’ yard.
- For a festive Fourth of July patriotic parfait, layer red strawberries and the cream cheese mixture in a clear glass or dessert bowl, then add white whipped cream and top with blueberries. Garnish with a flag pick or more berries and cream.
- Search our blog for more recipes containing strawberries.