Almond Liqueur Tart
November 7: National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day
Islander’s brother, Kahuna, discovered Highlander’s stash of dark chocolate-covered almonds in our house and could not resist eating them! He felt so guilty afterwards that he went to the grocery store to replace them before Highlander got home from work. Later, when Highlander wanted to snack on them, he noticed his candy did not taste quite right. They were milk chocolate instead of the darker flavor! As a “peace offering,” Kahuna bought another BIGGER bag of bittersweet chocolate almonds so they can both enjoy them together.
Amused by this incident between her husband and only sibling, Islander made a bittersweet chocolate almond tart when the candies were eaten up. Both Highlander and Kahuna liked it—but still prefer slices of this decadent dessert to be garnished with the dark chocolate-covered almonds.
Those who are nuts about dark chocolate and almonds ought to try the tart version. Bittersweet chocolate almond tart is a terrific treat for National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day.
(Adapted from Raleys)
For the crust
- ¾ cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar, granulated white
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 egg
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa powder. Cut in pieces of cold butter with a pastry blender or fork. Stir in the egg until dough is well blended.
Press into a 9-inch tart pan (with a removable bottom) on the bottom and sides. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Prick the bottom and sides with the tines of a fork. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Make the filling.
For the filling
- 1 bag (10 ounces) bittersweet chocolate chips (we used Ghirardelli brand)
- 1 container (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 4-6 tablespoons amaretto (almond liqueur)
- dark chocolate-covered almonds, slivered blanched almonds or whole roasted almonds (optional garnish)
In a bowl, microwave the bittersweet chocolate chips until melted. Stir until smooth. Cool for about 5 minutes. Fold in the mascarpone cheese. Stir in the amaretto.
Smooth the filling into the crust. Refrigerate for at least an hour to set. Push the bottom up to release the tart from the whole pan. Slice and serve. Garnish with dark chocolate-covered almonds, slivered blanched almonds or whole roasted almonds.
- Slice the tart into small wedges as this is a rich dessert. Servings may also be topped with whipped cream or berries.
- Search our blog for other recipes containing chocolate and/or almonds.