December 15: National Cupcake Day
Somewhere over the rainbow—and maybe somewhere closer—rainbow cupcakes are making people smile! Who could resist the colorful confetti in the cake batter, the bright blue sky frosting, the fluffy marshmallow clouds and the sweet-sour strips of chewy candy? We made these rainbow cupcakes for a “Wizard of Oz” themed party and they surely made everyone smile! Some people did not even want to eat them because these Technicolor treats looked so cute. For National Cupcake Day, decorate something over the top and over the rainbow and make rainbow cupcakes!
- Cupcakes (we used a confetti cake mix)
- Blue frosting (we tinted a tub of vanilla frosting with blue food coloring)
- White tube frosting
- Mini marshmallows
- Rainbow candy strips (we used Airheads Xtreme Rainbow Berry brand)
Bake cupcakes as directed on the box package. Cool completely. Frost the tops with blue frosting.
Cut the rainbow candy strips in half. Use the white tube frosting to pipe some clouds to secure the strip and marshmallows. Arch the rainbow candy strip into the white frosting. Complete the cupcakes by hiding the edges of the strip with mini marshmallows.
- February 25 is National Cupcake Day in Canada. It is celebrated as a fundraising event to benefit animal shelters and humane societies.
- Search our blog for other cupcake recipes and decorating ideas.