Hemp Chocolate Candy Bar Brownies
December 8: National Brownie Day
We have blogged several times about brownies before. But this one is baked with a special ingredient—a chocolate candy bar! And it’s not just any bar—it has hemp seeds! Hemp is related to but is not the same as marijuana, although they both come from one of the varieties of their common cannabis plant. When baked into brownies, a few people automatically assume there is “pot” in it, which is illegal in some states. Nevertheless, we reassured our skeptical friends that they would probably only get high on sugar and not on “weed”! For National Brownie Day, bake some brownies with a special ingredient—a chocolate candy bar with or without hemp.
(Adapted from Dave Lieberman of the Food Network)
- ½ cup (1 stick butter) butter, melted, divided use
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 hemp chocolate candy bar, coarsely chopped
Prepare an 8×8-inch square baking pan that has been lined with foil with a little hanging over the edges (this will act as the “handles” to lift the cooled brownies from the pan). Grease the bottom and sides of the foil-lined pan with 2 tablespoons melted butter. With the remaining butter, combine it with the sugar in a mixing bowl.
Beat in the egg, water and vanilla. Next, add the salt, baking powder, cocoa powder and flour.
Fold in the chopped hemp chocolate candy bar pieces. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until the center is set and the top is shiny and slightly wrinkled. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Use the foil “handles” to lift the brownie out of the pan. Cut into squares and serve. Yield: 16 brownie pieces.
- Thanks to Lisa L. for giving us the special ingredient for this recipe—the hemp chocolate candy bar. The hemp seeds added a nice occasional crunch to the fudgy-cake like texture in this brownie.
- Substitute the hemp chocolate candy bar for a cup of another candy bar (like Snickers fun size or mini chocolate-peanut candy bars).
- Search our blog for other brownie recipes.