Rice Krispies Footballs
February: Super Bowl
Celebrate Super Bowl Sunday and the end of football season with a simple sweet treat: Rice Krispies Footballs. Islander makes these and other game day desserts ahead of time so she can help Highlander prepare other foods when we host a Super Bowl Sunday supper and invite our neighbors, Glenn and Anna Maria B., to join us to watch the game on our big screen TV. Score a touchdown at the table with these Rice Krispies Footballs. They are fun and festive and are sure to be a favorite football food!
(Adapted from Rice Krispies)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) or 5 cups chocolate-flavored regular marshmallows
(or 4 cups miniature marshmallows)
- ½ cup peanut butter (optional)
- 6 cups chocolate-flavored rice cereal (Cocoa Krispies)
- white fondant (optional)
- white tube frosting
In a large pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows (and peanut butter, if using) and stir until completely melted. Mix in the cereal until combined well. Remove from heat.
Generously butter hands and form mixture into football shapes. Place on a tray lined with waxed paper. Set aside. Roll out a small ball of white fondant, if using, flatten into 1/8-inch thickness and slice into thin strips.
Position on the football shapes (brush a little water on the strips before positioning, if necessary). With a small round trip on the white tube frosting, squeeze out the stitching detail on the football shapes. Yield: 18 two-inch size Rice Krispies footballs.
- For another Super Bowl sweet treat, try the football-shaped coffee cookie recipe.
- For the original rice cereal marshmallow squares recipe, see our previous post for National Cereal Day on March 7.